Things to do
Wigtownshire is a beautiful rural area with many beaches, gardens and villages to visit. There is a cinema at Newton Stewart and the Ryan Centre in Stranraer houses a swimming pool, cinema and theatre. More detailed information about things to do is available in the house.
Some Ideas for your Holiday
Whether you want a quiet holiday or are an outdoor enthusiast this area has something for everyone.
• For golfers there are five golf courses within easy reach of Up Yonder and the famous Turnberry golf course is only an hour away. Local Golf Courses (Dunskey, Lagganmore, Creachmore, Wigtown County).
• Walkers are spoilt for choice with the Southern Upland Way and the many shorter walks in the Glenluce area. For the bike enthusiasts the world famous 7stane mountain biking trails at Kirroughtree are within easy reach. Safe storage is available for bikes.
• Fishing, horse riding, shooting (including clay pigeon shooting) and paintballing are all nearby. Fishing – river, loch or sea trips or view the fish pond at Port Logan.
• For those who want to relax why not visit some of the many beautiful gardens including Castle Kennedy Gardens which are in the grounds of Lochinch Castle home of the Earl of Stair, Logan Botanical Gardens, Dunskey, Ardwell and Glenwhan.
• The area is renowned for many quality restaurants from pub grub to haute cuisine.
• There are many safe sandy beaches a short drive away.
• Mull of Galloway – enjoy the most southerly point in Scotland over lunch in the Gaillie Craig.
• Ferries – enjoy a day trip to Ireland with the option of shopping, visiting the ‘Titanic’ Exhibition or taking a bus trip to view Northern Ireland’s tourist attractions.
• Ryan Centre – Swimming, health suite, gym or games courts.
• Agnew Park – boating lake, miniature train, go-carts, crazy golf.
• Or just realax and enjoy the steady pace of life in Glenluce